Friday, January 23, 2015

The late NY Mayor Ed Koch said, "Obama's Hostility to Israel Continues, Obama favors better relations with Muslim countries even at Israel's expense"-Real Clear Politics, 5/24/11

.
NYC Mayor Koch said Obama favored better relations with Muslim countries even at Israel's expense. (5th para. from end). Mayor Koch died on Feb. 1, 2013 at age 88.

5/24/11, "Obama's Hostility to Israel Continues," Ed Koch, Real Clear Politics

"President Obama asking Israel to negotiate with Hamas, which seeks its total destruction, set forth in its basic covenant as important in the operation of its government in Gaza as are the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence to the American people, would be akin to F.D.R. telling Winston Churchill that he had to, in World War II before we entered that war, negotiate a settlement with Adolf Hitler's Nazi Germany. 

On leaving a movie theater over the weekend, a young African-American man about 40 years old who noticed I looked weary, asked if I would like to use the wall in front of which he stood to lean against. I declined with thanks and we struck up a conversation. He said, "What did you think of President Obama's speech?" I said, "I didn't like the part on Israel." He said, "Oh, that's too bad. I think he really likes Jews." I said, "I don't believe he is anti-Semitic, but I do believe he favors a better relationship with the Muslim countries, even if it is
  • at Israel's expense."
If President Obama does not change his position, I cannot vote for his reelection. I've already made clear I won't vote for some crazy who urges we jettison Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid as federal programs. I can stay home.

President Obama's efforts to reassure supporters of Israel, at the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) on May 22 did not reassure me. Those assurances reported by the Times today "that the United States commitment to Israel's long term security was ironclad," rings hollow, knowing iron breaks and was broken back in March 2010.

Adding to the lack of credibility on this issue of secure borders is what Saeb Erekat, the chief Palestinian negotiator said, reported in today's Times, "I am waiting to hear from Prime Minister Netanyahu. Does he accept the doctrine of two states on the 1967 lines with agreed swaps or not? (emphasis added). Before we hear that acceptance, we are just grinding water." And, he is Fatah.
  • Imagine the response of Hamas.
President Obama's remarks have lifted up the spirits of Palestinians, who now believe he has given them the upper hand. Supporters of Israel, Jews and Christians, Democrats and Republicans, now is the time to make your positions known. Members of Congress, you are not potted plants. Let the President know you disagree with him. We must stand strong for Israel
  • in this time of danger."

=============================

No comments: